Chicken is one of Canada’s favorite foods because it is wholesome, versatile and easy to prepare. It can be cooked in many different ways, either by itself or paired with other foods such as grains, vegetables or fruits. It can be used in appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches and main dishes. In addition to this, white meat chicken is one of the lowest fat protein sources, and leg meat, while a little higher in fat, provides a rich flavour to any meal. Chicken fits easily into today’s preference for healthy living.
Here are some great benefits of eating chicken:
- High in Protein – chicken is a great source of lean, low fat protein
- Natural Anti-depressant – eating some poultry will increase the serotonin levels in your brain, enhance your mood
- Prevents Bone Loss – chicken will aid your fight against osteoporosis or arthritis
- Poultry for Heart Health – chicken breast suppresses and controls homocysteine levels, an amino acid that causes cardiovascular disease
- Plenty of Phosphorus – an essential mineral that supports your teeth and bones, as well as kidney, liver, and central nervous system function
- Metabolic performance – chicken contains selenium, a mineral that aids in your metabolic processes
- Source of Vitamin B6 – required for the synthesis of essential molecules in our bodies
- Rich in Niacin – prevents cancer and other forms of genetic (DNA) damage
- Better eyesight – chicken has high concentrations of retinol, alpha and beta-carotene, and lycopene which are vital for the health of your eyes
- Decreases skin problems – chicken livers have riboflavin (or Vitamin B2) which help to reduce skin problems
Visit Your Corner Butcher in the heart of the ByWard Market to get all natural grain fed chicken. Have you had your daily dose?